The Speed Sensor is usually mounted on the front sprocket cover, and the 3-pole black speed sensor coupler is situated 20-40 cm (8”-16”) away from sensor.
The connector is accessible by raising the fuel tank, removing the seat or a side fairing.
If the speedometer is driven off the front wheel (SV650, VL800) the sensor coupler is in the headlight bucket.
Separate the Speed Sensor coupler (you might need to use a small flathead screwdriver to get the coupler apart). Rotate the rear wheel while the ignition is on.
The speedometer should indicate 0. If so, turn the ignition off and proceed to the next step.
Otherwise, if the speedometer registers a speed other than 0, you have not
disconnected the correct coupler and need to look again.
1. After separating the Speed Sensor coupler, plug in both the male and female 3-pole GFY harness connectors. Make sure the connectors are fully seated.
2. Find the wire that comes from the Signal generator (Pickup coil / CKP sensor):
GSF600 Bandit (2000-2004)
GSF650 Bandit (2005-2006)
GSF1200 Bandit (2001-2006)
GSX600F Katana (1998-2006)
GSX750F Katana (1998-2006)
You can find this wire either at the 2-pole plug of the signal generator, or
at the CDI box (also called ECU, ECM and Ignitor) connector.
Note: If the wire changes color at the 2-pole connector, use the one at the main wiring harness side which goes to the ECU
3. Peel off the black sleeve (tape), leaving about 3 cm (1.2”) of this wire exposed.
4. Connect the GFY Black/Green wire to this wire, using the Red wire tap connector supplied.
Usage: Place the unstripped run wire (shown in the table above) inside the run channel. Close the side cover until latched. Cut off the excess length, then insert the unstripped tap wire (Black/Green) completely and check its position. Insert the blade (u-contact) and press down by finger pressure. Then, fully depress the u-contact with pliers. Close the hinged top cover until latched.
5. Check whether everything is installed and working properly:
- Select Neutral and turn ignition On
The GFY display should count from 6 to 1, then “L” flashes slowly.
(If not, the display is not receiving power and/or ground. Check the
connections at the speed sensor connector.)
- Rotate the wheels - the display should indicate a rolling wheel.
(If not, the display is not receiving the speed signal. Check the
connection at the speed sensor connector.)
- Start the engine - “L” should flash faster for a few seconds.
(If not, the display is not receiving the RPM signal. Check the wire tap.)
Turn the ignition Off. If the tests still fail, disconnect the 3-pole connectors and check whether the connector pins are bent or pushed out of position. Spray some WD40 into the plugs.
6. Neatly route the GFYSHIP harness from the 3-pole plugs to the mounting location, preferably along the frame.
Do not route the harness very close to the exhaust pipe or cylinder head.